Sunday, March 30, 2014

Blog Post #10

After viewing the video Bring on the Education Revolution, I learned about student passion in relation to schools and the community. This video is of a TED Talk given by Sir Ken Robinson. TED stands for Technology, Entertainment, Design. TEDtalks also cover subjects including the arts, business, and science. This video, created in 2010, is a follow up from Sir Ken Robinson's 2006 TEDtalk. In this video, he specifically discusses the change from standardized school to personalized learning. Personalized learning is described as environments that allow childrens' natural talents to flourish.

Image of the TEDtalk logo with a speaker giving a talk to an audience as the background


Sir Ken Robinson began his TEDtalk by humorously comparing school reform to a climate crisis because of its urgency. He says that humans make very little use of their talents and even fewer recognize their ability. Ken divides the people of the world into two types, people that do not enjoy what they do, and people who love what they do. When asked about their personal career, a common answer for those who enjoy what they do is, "It isn't what I do, it's who I are." Unfortunately, this describes minority of the people. This can greatly be due to education. Human resources are not on the surface because they are meant to be discovered. Ken discusses how every school system is being reformed. He emphasizes that reform is improving a broken model, not fixing the problem. He says that what we need is a revolution in education. He emphasizes a quote from Abraham Lincoln stating that we must rise with the occasion, not rise to the occasion. Ken discusses how we as a society have been obsessed with getting to college, yet human communities depend on diversity. In closing, he states that society as a whole needs passion.

Image of common core values for student flourishing


Everything I took from Sir Ken Robinson's TEDtalk can be applied to me as a teacher. As a teacher I do not need to tell my students what to do with their future. I need to be open to my students ideas no matter what they are. I need to help my students discover their passions and talents so they can flourish. I want to help my students discover their passions and talents. Being a teacher is all about personalizing education to my students individual needs. If all teachers do this, a beneficial education revolution will occur.

2 comments:

  1. Sarah, I couldn't agree with you more. Being a teacher is about helping your students succeed based on what they love. I do not want to be the teacher that crushes their student's dreams. They should feel open to share their thoughts and passions. I enjoyed reading your post. Great job!

    ReplyDelete