Friday, April 25, 2014

C4K Summary for April

Image of year 7 and year 8 students at the PT school in New Zealand
For my first comment for kids in this series, I commented on Francis's blog. Francis is a student in Ms. Squires class at the PT England School in Auckland, New Zealand. Francis has been blogging since year 4 and is now in year 7. I commented on his post titled My Math Strategy. This post was a recording of a smart board notepad showing Francis actively working out a math problem. There was also a voice over to compute the problem 7.9 + ___ = 12.5. Francis uses his strategy, called jumping number, to compute the problem. I commented on the post saying that I had never heard of the jumping number strategy but that I liked how easy it is to do! I complimented him on his advanced technological skills that he used to create his blog post. I also wrote a reminder for him to hold the microphone a little further away from his mouth so that his voice will sound clearer in the recording.

For my second blog post in this series, I commented on Omari’s blog. Omari is a student in Miss Ouano’s class. Omari has been blogging since year 4, and is now in year 5 at the PT England School in Auckland, New Zealand. I commented on his post titled Omari's Key Competencies. Omari wrote that his five key competencies are “managing self, participating and contributing, relating to others, thinking and using language symbols and texts.” He wrote that he is good at participating and contributing because he helps his fellow students with their Chromebooks. I commented on his post saying that I enjoyed reading about his capabilities because it sounds like he has high values. I also wrote that if I had a Chromebook I would need his help!

Headshot of Tavake
For my final comment for kids in this series, I commented on Tavake’s blog. Tavake is a year 5 student who has been blogging since year 4. He is in Miss Lavakula’s class. Tavake’s blog post, Life Cycle of a Butterfly was a Vimeo video of a butterfly's life cycle. This video was a moving picture (I assume the pictures were drawn by him) of a butterfly with a voice over by Tavake. In my comment, I first introduced myself saying that I was in a technology course at the University of South Alabama in the United States. I commented on his post saying that I enjoyed watching the video. I asked if he was the illustrator of the butterfly pictures and that the picture was beautifully drawn. I also suggested that he do his next voice recording in a quiet room to prevent background noise.

No comments:

Post a Comment