Sunday, April 27, 2014

C4T #4

For this series, I commented on Lee Kolbert’s blog, A Geeky Momma's Blog. The first post that I commented on was Why I Deleted Foursquare, and Why You Should, Too! This post was about the networking website, FourSquare (4sq). FourSquare is also nicknamed by Lee as FourScare. This website allows its users to check-in to different locations by using a GPS system. Depending on where you check-in, you earn point and discounts or freebees.
FourSquare logo
In the past, FourSquare allowed its users to change the website settings to private. Changing this allowed for only your friends to view where you checked-in. In early December, 4sq changed its policy to remove the option of private check-ins. This is why Lee deleted her account. Lee did some investigating after she learned about this. Lee found out that 4sq is connected to Facebook. This fact can lead to more personal information being released. Lee makes the point that any social media tools can be used as a stalking avenue. The rest of the post is showing how to set your Facebook page and Twitter to private.

After introducing myself, I commented saying that after reading her post, I will never create a FourSquare account. I also wrote that I keep all my social media account private. It is essential to remember that although social media is a wonderful tool, it is dangerous at the same time. As a future teacher who plans to use technology in my classroom, I will be sure to teach my student of these dangers.

No comments:

Post a Comment