Sunday, February 23, 2014

Blog Assignment #6 - PLNs What Are They?

Image example of a personal learning network


PLN stands for personal learning network. A PLN is the set of tools and people that one uses for assistance, consultation, and collaboration. A PLN is worldwide, usually free, and dependent on technology. Personal learning networks include all of social media (Twitter, Facebook, blogs). Basically, a personal learning network is anyone that you come in contact with and exchange information with. Today, the PLN is a replacement of the classroom.

Personal learning networks can help one as a teacher because these networks help the teacher contact others easily. By expanding the amount of people that you encounter, the more ideas you will be able to relay to your students. The tools for PLNs are constantly changing. This is an advantage because this means that as a teacher, you will always be learning. Continual learning is just as essential for teachers as it is for students in the field of education.

Networks include those that you talk to on a regular basis, but for the most part networks are formed online. To begin forming a network, first, you think of a subject area of interest. Next, you search for activities, people, and places based on these similar areas of interest. You will begin following these people on social media, watching videos on YouTube, and communicating with others. Soon enough you will have a personal learning network in your specific area of interest!

I have already begun creating my PLN and I did not even know it! Dr. Strange, the EDM 310 professor at the University of South Alabama, and my classmates are already a part of my network because of my blog and Twitter account used for EDM 310. I plan to add C4T teachers from previous and future blog posts to my network. Teachers of the student blogs that I comment on for C4K will also be included in my network. Finally, I plan to include professionals in the field of education in my personal learning network. These additions will all be useful when I become a teacher!

I found a board on Pinterest that I will use for expanding my educational PLN! Visit Pinterest

2 comments:

  1. Great blog! This was so easy to read and you clearly explained what a PLN was without getting to wordy or confusing for the reader. I didn't realize we were creating our very own PLN's until this class either! I have been bookmarking and saving the blogs of the teachers we comment on as well as the kid's pages that we comment on so I can add their teacher's to my PLN platform.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Today, the PLN is a replacement of the classroom." Not quite!

    The rest of your post indicates you understand the concept.

    ReplyDelete